We are in a time of fast frustration. A time when life is challenging perhaps, and that we need to listen to what our body is telling us to do – to slow down – to take R&R – to relax. One way that you can do this is by getting yourself into a hobby or pastime. I used to go to watch rugby. This was a relaxing (sometimes) element of a Saturday afternoon where I could be somewhere where I can just be me.
Some believe that hobbies aren’t really necessary. After all, they do take time away from work and family. However, personal pursuits serve many important functions including helping keep you emotionally and mentally healthy.
If you’ve been avoiding spending time doing activities you like to do, maybe it’s time to re-commit to some “me time” and start up your favourite pastimes again.
Some thoughts about reconnecting with some of your favourite hobbies?
1. Hobbies provide an opportunity to release your stress and recharge your batteries.
It’s widely understood in the medical community that stress can be destructive. Crafts and other personal activities help you let go of stress as you focus on something you enjoy.
- When you feel anxiety or frustration, hobbies are a healthy outlet for those feelings.
- Immersing yourself in your favourite activity frees you from troublesome thoughts.
2. Explore your creative side by practising a hobby.
Do you typically take time out of your busy day to let your creative juices flow? Hobbies fulfil this very important role, giving you the time and reason to produce something of your own design.
3. Planning time to do your special craft says that you’re important and worthy.
You deserve to have those special moments. They’re a great way to practice self-care!
4. Hobbies can bring balance to your life with social activities.
Socializing is an important element of a balanced life. Hobbies can serve as an encouragement to socialize, particularly if you display your wares or stay active in a club.
5. Personal pastimes bring fun and enjoyment to your life.
Hobbies are truly enjoyable for many people and give you a chance to take delight in something you’re doing.
6. Your work or career may not allow you to express yourself as you might like.
Hobbies, on the other hand, provide an outlet for personal expression.
- If your passion is painting pictures, you can paint whatever you want. Likewise, if you knit, you can choose the colour, yarn, gauge, and pattern, to create something all your own.
- Because everyday life can seem monotonous and bring feelings of powerlessness, hobbies serve as wonderful respites.
7. Particularly for people who live alone, pastimes provide structure and ritual to life.
Perhaps as soon as you get home from work and grab a beverage, you can find your sketchpad and go outdoors to sketch a tree or the house across the street.
- Rituals are comforting and enjoyable, and hobbies are a wonderful way to spend time alone.
8. Many hobbies are versatile; you can do them by yourself or with friends.
Experiment with attending your local club or group to practice your pursuit with others.
Seeking Your Special Hobby: Find Your Bliss
Spend some time doing activities that bring you joy. If you’re not sure what type of pursuit to add to your life, consider these suggestions:
- Start looking around for a new hobby. Keep your mind open to new activities you hear about.
- Check out your local newspaper or listen to the local radio station to discover what’s going on in your community. Maybe there’s a new boating club or book discussion group you’d like to join.
- Feel free to go to just one or two club meetings to see if you’re going to enjoy a particular pastime. You can always look for other activities if you find that one doesn’t suit you.
- Pay attention to the hobbies of your friends and neighbours. Ask to observe your friends or even join them for a morning, afternoon or evening, taking part in their activities to see what you think.
Hobbies are important for many reasons, such as de-stressing, allowing creativity, bringing balance to your life and providing opportunities for self-expression.
If you haven’t spent time lately with your beloved pastime, now’s the time to get back to it.
If you don’t have an activity you truly enjoy, use the suggestions above or take a visit across to Lifehack that has a few suggestions.
Before you know it, your life will feel even more enriched than ever before!